The Time of Angels

I'm really fascinated by Doctor Who season 5 episode 4, "The Time of Angels". The visuals, the dialogue, the Doctor, Amy... Mostly I'm a huge fan of Matt Smith's portrayal of the Doctor, and there's just so much to love in this episode. So here are some random thoughts and over-analysing.

"What caused it to crash, not me?"

Love the lineup of the three here. And the way he walks up to her, hands on his back.


"Who is she, and how did she do that? She just left you a note in a museum."


"Two things are always guaranteed to end up in a museum, the homebox of a category four starliner, and - sooner or later - him."


"Ha ha ha ha, I'm nobody's taxi service. I'm not going to be there to catch you every time, you feel like, like, jumping out of a space ship!"

Love the acting, the way he delivers his lines. I love the sarcastic laugh, the way he has to stop at "like".


"One survivor. There is a thing in the belly of that ship that can't ever die."

I love how he reacts, how he just can't leave it after that teaser. He's still mad at River, but he can't help it.


"Now he's listening."


"Oooh, Doctor, you soniced her."

Here I like the way Amy reacts. She's not sure what's going on yet, but she can tell that the Doctor doesn't quite have the upper hand in this situation, and takes advantage to make some fun.


"Father Octavian, Sir, Bishop, second class. Twenty clerics at my command."

Here I like the confusion on Amy's face, and that she asks about this later. And I love that the Doctor is still a bit annoyed with the situation, and that he looks up at the ship while he shakes Octavian's hand.


"You're letting people call you sir, you never do that."

Liked that Amy points this out.


"Now, that's interesting. You're still here. Which part of 'wait in the TARDIS 'till I tell you it's safe' was so confusing?"


"Awww, are you mr. Grumpy-Face today?"


"The ultimate defense mechanism. Being a stone... until you turn your back."


"Currently, there are six billion human colonists."

"Wheeeew, you lot! You're like RABBITS! I'll never get done saving you."

I think Rose once said, "he insults species when he's mad".


"Sir, if there is a clear and present danger to the local population..."

Love how he rarely looks at the people he talks to in this episode. He is paying attention to what the others are saying, but he's also busy calculating and planning.


"Anybody need me? Nobody?"

Comments