Trying to untangle the Superman comics

AKA "I'm confused about Rebirth". TL;DR: I haven't fully worked it out yet. To be continued, maybe.

I'm very into Superman at the moment, but I'm starting to run out of content. I've watched or rewatched almost all the TV shows and movies that are available. I've also read a lot of fanfiction. I found a few really good ones, but that source sort of ran out too. And then I realised, if I want a continued Superman fix, I have to face a slightly intimidating situation: The comics.

For the record (if anyone actually reads this):

  • I have read Superman comics before, years ago. But I mainly read standalone books or collections of story arcs.
  • I'm purely interested in Superman. Too much focus on Batman/Wonder Woman/Justice League/Jimmy or other? You've lost me.
  • I have a terrible attention span. I love reading about Superman's character, powers and relationships... While I don't mind action scenes, I'm likely to start skimming if this goes on for too long.

My Superman collection from back then, that I dug out from my old closet at my mum and dad's house.

I first heard of Rebirth when I stumbled upon a Quora post called "Why do you like Superman". It was talking about how "the DC Rebirth Superman was optimistic and more friendly than New 52 Superman... but he wasn't boring or anti-social". This sounded like my jam. 

But boy am I confused. 

I think I've got the basic idea. I've read the first issues of John Byrne's Man of Steel from the 80's. This was the first modern day reboot of Superman, and the incarnation that fought Doomsday, died, and eventually came back. 

In 2011, DC rebooted the universe again. This storyline was referred to as "the new 52", and was apparently somewhat unpopular with the fans. I missed this era almost completely, but I have read some of it now. I liked the suit, but I wasn't a fan of him being with Wonder Woman. 

Then, DC did another "soft reboot" in 2016, by reintroducing the old Superman. This is where my confusion starts. Somehow, the Man of Steel version of Superman, along with his wife Lois Lane, and their son, Jonathan, have ended up in the new 52 universe, and have gotten stuck there. So they have to live under new names, living on a farm. When the new 52 Superman dies of kryptonite poisoning, the old Superman takes over the role. And this happens over a mix of comics series apparently: Justice League, Superman, and Action Comics.

When I started, I tried following a list of some recommended comics on comixology. "Read these", they said. Basically:

  • Read Justice League (2011-2016) issue #50
  • Read Superman (2011-2016) issue #52
  • Read DC universe: Rebirth (2016) issue #1
  • And then continue with Superman (2016-2018) issue #1

I got a few issues into Superman (2016-2018), and it didn't quite click for me. So I put it on hold, and read some other comics in the meantime. Eventually i stumbled upon "Superman: Heroes", which explores people's reactions to Superman having revealed that he's Clark Kent to the world. I was really intrigued about this, and so I found myself reading Superman (2018-), where the big reveal happens in issue #18. This obviously takes place further into the Rebirth storyline, and I was hella confused as to what was going on timeline wise. It's my own fault for reading the comics this way, I know. 

I've gotten up to the present day of publications, and I'm not very happy with how this appears to be moving towards Superman dying, and Jon taking over? If that's the case, I'm outa here. 

But after finishing these, I realised this storyline is covered in Action comics as well! And apparently, this is where Clark White/Man of Steel Superman is first revealed to the world. 

What? Why wasn't that in the recommended list? 

So do I need to start reading Action comics too now? Where does the story actually start?? Why are there constant crossovers? Aaaargh.

Comments