Superman & Lois ep. 7: Man of Steel

New episode! Wasn't quite as wowed by this as by last week's, but it was still great.

Likes:

Clark uses ice breath to get Jordan's attention. Yes please, more casual uses of superpowers! I also loved the scene from an earlier episode where Clark floats down from the roof to grab a wrench.

Jon is a great brother, as usual. Jordan was being a bit of a jealous little shit, but at least he acknowledged it and apologised at the end. I liked that the conversation that Jordan overheard didn't sound like it was purely written just to be overheard. It kind of reminded me a bit of an episode of Doctor Who that I was a bit annoyed by.

Poor Jordan having to deal with the craziness of powers passed down from his dad. I'm sure eventually it will be cool to have powers, but while he still struggles with controlling it, it must feel more like a condition. 

"That's her husband", the Stranger says about Clark. Lol! I sort of thought he would know about Clark being Superman, but I guess not! Clark is just a random dude that Lois married to him, haha.

Also love Clark and Lois working together. Lois is really given a proper role, earning her spot in the title. 

The reveal was great - The Stranger is actually John Henry Irons, AKA Steel! I was wondering what the reason for title of this episode was. Great reveal! I didn't see it coming. Like someone on reddit said, "we were too distracted by the bald head and the name Luthor to consider that he wasn't an alternate universe Lex". I bet that this dramatic reveal was a bit lost on more casual fans though. 

Lois and Clark tailing a car really far back was a cool use of Clark's powers.

Clark smiles and looks after Lois who's just left <3

The boys rescuing their dad was really cool.

Questions:

How much did Leslie Larr overhear? Lois called Clark "Superman", so did she overhear that? 

How connected is this to the arrowverse exactly? This was the first proper mention of the multiverse, and Lex Luthor.

I feel like there was some extra focus on Jon dragging that hammer... I wonder what's gonna happen with him in the end. 

Dislikes:

Superman was lifting a fist, to what – beat Steel to death, or? He's just a regular human, dude. And again, really not a fan of the menacing red eyes... 

Red sunlight isn't used as often as kryptonite, but here it looked like it hurt Superman. Should it? Shouldn't it kind of just disable his powers? He was still able to take some pretty significant hits while, what, depowered? Just dazed? 

Just a tiny nitpick, because this happens in all sorts of media: If you've got a giant hammer, and you've cornered Superman under red sunlight – less monologuing, more hammer.

Thoughts:

I kinda hope they have a good explanation for the evil Superman. I hope he's a clone or something, or if they must; mind controlled. Basically anything but "Superman just turns evil". I just really dislike evil Superman. This show just seems to understand Superman so far, and I don't feel like he would just turn evil by himself.

Apparently there's going to be 15 episodes this season, not 9-10 like I first thought. Sweet!

Comments