Superman & Lois ep. 6: Broken Trust

Superman & Lois is back from hiatus! Feels like it's been ages! Man, this show is such a gem. I'm so so glad I get to experience this while I'm in the middle of a "phase". It's actually really good! Who'da thought!

Just going to throw in my likes and dislikes as usual:

Likes:

It just jumps right in to the action. Love it. Loved the train save. 

Jordan blasts Clark's hands with heat vision. This apparently hurts a bit. Makes sense!

Superman has a moment where his eyes glow as he gets angry. Normally I'm not a fan of this. But here I liked that he and Jordan have the same emotional response. Kinda badass (and very alien). I sort of see the reaction as a "oh my god, I've had enough of your shit" kind of thing. 

Can't believe they shot Superman though! I sort of feel that this was maybe a bit of an overreaction for the threat level. And why didn't they continue shooting at Tag after Superman went down? Wasn't that kind of the purpose of using Kryptonite?? I'd think you don't use really painful shots on your heavy hitter unless you have a damn good reason. But it was a really cool scene anyway. 

Also, it looks like his suit heals itself after he pulls out the kryptonite darts? Or am I seeing that wrong?

I loved Clark's speech to Jordan about how he needs to constantly think about how he's perceived. Yes! I have thought a lot about this actually, and I absolutely loved how this was written:

That anger you felt that made you want to use your powers the way you did tonight. I have those feelings too. But I keep them in check. Otherwise I risk losing the trust of the very people I've sworn to protect. When I first showed up in Metropolis as Superman, there was a lot of talk about what the world should do with someone who had powers like mine. And it took me a minute to realise that other people were more afraid of what I could do than I was. So what I had to do, more than anything, was earn their trust. Prove to them that no matter what I would never use my powers to hurt them. Twenty years later, and every time I use my powers, that trust is tested. Every time. Just today in fact. The thing about trust, Jordan, once you break it, it takes a lot longer to heal than a wrist.

The dilemma that Jordan has, of wanting friends (and/or a girlfriend), while also keeping his and his dad's secret is a tough one. I wonder if Lana is going to find out at some point. Lana typically knows about him in the comics etc.

Love Clark's exasperated drop of the head when Lois tells him about the crazy stuff she experienced at the mines. 

The ending cliffhanger! Omg, what's happening to Jordan?

Very mild dislikes:

I sort of dislike that Superman's super hearing has a sound effect. When I first heard it I thought it was the sound of the ELT. But it plays when the ELT isn't involved as well. Wouldn't it be enough just with the slightly echo-y sound of what he hears?

Still not fully on board with the stubble. It's not a big problem, but I just feel that it doesn't suit Superman. 

There are a couple of points that I hope they won't go too long without addressing:

  • Something needs to happen with Jon soon. Either that he develops powers too, or he needs to get more of a story of his own. He's just a supporting character at the moment. He's a saint though. So patient and supporting with everything. Other than having his arm broken in this episode. I actually thought for a second that he'd used powers as well when he tried to block Jordan, but nope. 
  • Clark is unemployed. I hope they'll come up with a solution for this soon. Or some kind of explanation. Have him write freelance or something?

Other random thoughts:

I wonder if Tag questioned why Superman keeps showing up.

"Bishop six, stand down". Is that Superman's code name? I wonder what the meaning behind it is, if there is any. I assume it's chess related. Cool either way.

This version of Superman seems to be more resistant to kryptonite than most other versions. Could have been adrenaline, but he managed to pull out a kryptonite dagger in episode 1 as well. I wonder if the show will manage to be somewhat consistent with this.

Not very prominent in this episode, but a thought from past episodes: I love this show's take on the different Clark/Superman personalities. Neither is overly "acted". But he's a lot more of a doofus as Clark. 


Is it next Wednesday yet? Can it be? Right now?

Comments