DOCTOR WHO: Day of the Moon

So, THIS is when things get complicated. 

I think I have to go back and watch this over again, and even that won't be enough to understand everything that happened. This episode was amazingly creepy, fantastic and so so confusing! 

First off, what happened between this episode and the previous? How and why was the Doctor captured at area 51? I didn't quite understand how he went from hauling Canton away after Amy shot the little girl, to being in the process of being locked up in "the perfect prison". I guess it was Canton who asked those other guys that were with him to come and hunt Amy and Rory, but why? Why was Amy asking him if he remembered if this was planned between them? Why did they flee so desperately? How did they survive being shot? I guess Canton shot both of them, so it might have been fake bullets. There seem to be some missing time between the episodes, were we meant to guess what happened in between...? Why were they being chased at all, they weren't doing anything illegal? Was it because they were trying to free the Doctor? But why was he captured at all? 

I loved the bearded Doctor. He looked so different! I felt bad for him when he started stretching after he got out of the straight jacket, I've read that those are really bad for the blood circulation. Everything he did in this part of the episode worked so well. Loved the way he straightened his braces, and fell over, hitting and revealing the invisible TARDIS.

But, -snicker-, that "Open all the doors to the swimming pool!"-part... So, River is falling off a building, the Doctor parks the TARDIS horizontally on the side of the building, and she falls into the pool through the door... Shouldn't that make all the water flow out and into other parts of the ship? And there's a perfect straight line of doors from the exit door to the pool? But I guess it's okay, the Doctor did the same thing in the Eleventh Hour... (never mind me, I'll stop nitpicking when there were so many other confusing parts in this episode.) 

So after this, Canton and Amy go looking for the girl at an orphanage/children's home. What was the deal with that place? Where were all the kids? I guess the writing on the wall was the manager's doing, trying to warn himself to get out. (He had a bow tie!) The Doctor somehow gets into Apollo 11, and fixes something in the tip of the rocket. He gets caught ("There's always a bit left over, isn't there?"), and gets tied up again, the poor guy. Fun moment when he tries to bite the chain over, but even more fun when president Nixon himself walks in and tell the men to free the Doctor! With that "presidental melody" playing in the background. I have no idea what it's called. (Rory looked good in that suit and with the glasses!)

Amy sees a woman with a silver eye patch in a hatch on a door, but there's no one there when she opens the door. And there's a picture of Amy with a baby there. A picture of Amy in 1969. Whaaaat? This episode was almost surreal. 

The little girl in the space suit appears with two Silents behind her, and they take Amy with them. The others appear at the orphanage, they manage to shoot a Silent, and they find Amy's hand-recorder, and the space suit empty. They can still hear Amy talking through the recorder. 

Cut to the Doctor's prison opening days later, Canton walking out of it. To the guards, it seems like he's been in there all the time. And then the president walks out too! With that same melody playing again. I cracked up! Amazing timing. The team finds out that the space suit is a life support system, and that the girl was strong enough to force herself free.

Amy: I love you. I know that you think it's him. I know you think it ought to be... him. But it's not. It's you. And when I see you again, I'm gonna tell you properly. Just to see your stupid face. My life was just so... boring before you just dropped out of the sky. So just... get your stupid face where I can see it, okay?

Rory sits and listens to Amy's recorder, and my heart broke a little for Rory when she suddenly starts talking to someone, but not clarifying who she means. But from what she's saying, it sounds like she means the Doctor. I got a little suspicious at this part, because I thought it was quite unlikely that she suddenly would say that she loves the Doctor. It's clarified later that she in fact was talking about Rory, and that the "falling out of the sky" part was just a figure of speech. Iiiii... did not like this part. This felt incredibly forced. How did Rory ever "fall out of the sky" literally or figuratively? I thought they had known each other since they were little? And the part about how her life was boring before he appeared? Doesn't really make sense either. And I really don't think that Rory ever thought that "it ought to be the Doctor" instead of him. Yeah, this was not well thought through at all.

The Doctor: This isn't an alien invasion, they live here! This is their empire! This is kicking the Romans out of Rome!
Rory: Rome fell.
The Doctor: I know, I was there.
Rory: So was I.

And we get a mention of Rory's 2000 years. Yes! I'm so glad this was included in the episode, it needed to be clarified if he remembers it or not. The answer was a bit vague, but acceptable. He remembers sometimes. And he should. Otherwise he shouldn't remember any of the other stuff the trio did during the last season either. But he couldn't remember it all either, that would be too much. 

Later the team appears to rescue Amy. We get a lot of badassery from the Doctor, and from River as well. The Doctor actually reminds me a bit of Ten here, in the way he babbles. We get a bit of flirting between River and the Doctor, and Amy does not approve, since she's, you know, tied up and all. "Is this really important flirting, because I feel like I should be higher up on the list right now." 

Rory tries to free Amy while the Silents attack, and she exclaims "Just get your stupid face out of here!" making Rory understand that it's him she was talking about. Aww, Rory's face here. And that beautiful, slow version of "I am the Doctor" playing in the background...

The Doctor says goodbye to the president, who's glad that they finally are safe, but the Doctor pops that balloon by telling him that of course there are more dangers out there. Aw. His face. I don't handle happy faces turning sad very well, it hurts inside. 

Then the president asks the Doctor if he's still remembered in the future. Oh, another one of these, "famous people asking the Doctor if they are remembered". These go straight to my heart. My favourite is Charles Dickens, the way he asks "Doctor... my books... do they last?" And the Doctor answers with a smile, "Forever!" Oh my, I can feel the tears coming already... Not forgetting Vincent van Gogh! Oh my. Oh my. Excuse me... *sniff* 

And then the Doctor drops River off back at Stormcage. Oh my GOD, that kiss. Hello, ship I did not know I supported! The way he reacted was just so incredibly him. The way he couldn't decide where to put his hands, and the way he looks at her when she pulls away. But then we find out that she believed that they had done this before, while this actually is their first kiss for him. He smiles, tells her that it was good, but unexpected, and "you know what they say, there's a first time for everything", and leaves into the TARDIS. She stands there looking sad, and says "And a last time." ...Not sure what this means. Does she mean that this was supposed to be their last kiss? How would she know? Is this River close to going to The Library? Nah, that doesn't make sense. So what does she mean by this? Last what? 

Amy and the Doctor discusses her "pregnancy", which turns out to be false alarm. Or is it...? She says she didn't tell Rory because the baby might have been "Time-affected" in some way. The Doctor scans her to be sure, the screen flickers between positive and negative, but we don't get to see the result... dunn dunn duuuunn.

And then, and theeeeen, we get the biggest cliffhanger Doctor Who has ever seen, I think. The little girl from the space suit stumbles down an ally in New York 6 months later. She talks to a man who asks her what's wrong, and she says she's dying, but that's easily fixed. (That beautiful music from when the Doctor dies last episode starts playing) And she holds her arms out in front of her, and a familiar glow starts to appear around them, and just like that, she bursts into golden light from her head and arms. 

Holy crap, did that little girl just REGENERATE! 


Speculation Time: Who is that Girl!

I have some theories, but I am nowhere near finding one that I think is the correct answer. But I guess she was put in that suit to keep her from regenerating... These are some of my theories, and some I've heard from others. Maybe she's... 

Amy's child: The big theory seems to be that this is Amy's daughter. That miiight just be true, with all this baby talk going on. But how is she Time Lord? I just won't believe that Amy will have a child with the Doctor. That's just so wrong on many levels. I may ship Amy/Eleven a bit in fanfiction, but never in the real story. But if the kid isn't the Doctor's, it's Rory's, but that makes the kid completely human. Unless one of them is a Time Lord in disguise, and that's just stupid. But that talk Amy and the Doctor had about a baby being affected by their time travel... Hm. 

The Doctor's daughter Jenny: This is very possible I guess? I've heard that an actress has been cast as "Jenny" in the series, but with no more info added. But that means she would have to have died previously and regenerated as a little girl. Well, that might happen? Maybe it happened because she never got to have an actual childhood. Hmmm. 

Some other offspring of the Doctor: Sounds kinda unlikely... 

An old female Time Lord character: I'm not very familiar with Old Who, but I've heard of Romana, his granddaughter Susan, and someone called Rani. One of these ladies perhaps? It would be cool to see Romana, since she used to travel with the fourth Doctor. If it's Susan... no, I really don't think she'll be back. 

A new Time Lord character: This might be possible, but a bit disappointing maybe. 

River Song: Nah. That's stupid. River is human. I guess it's possible that River is Amy's kid, but she's NOT the Doctor's (Seriously, ewww), and certainly not this girl.


Some other questions, thoughts and comments: 

  • Now that we know that the silence are creatures, how exactly is "silcence going to fall"? Trip and fall over?
  • Oh that music from the Doctor's death... if they repeat that at his final episode where he regenerates... *sniff*
  • River said "Shut up and drive!" (One of my favorite fanvideos on Youtube)

Comments