BATMAN: Under the Red Hood

Sometimes Batman is a bit too badass... But I liked this movie anyway. Usually I lose interest in Batman stories when Superman isn't around, but this movie was very good. (Kind of brutal too.)

Talking about Superman, I think that Amazo-robot had a run-in with him. Super strength, "lazer"-eyes, and flight?

I had heard of Jason Todd before I watched this movie, I knew that the Joker killed him, and that he came back as some sort of villain, but a lot of the stuff in this film was new to me. I had never heard of the Black Mask, so I read about him on Wikipedia.

Batman's voice was very good. I actually thought it was Kevin Conroy when he first spoke. I missed Mark Hamill though. The guy that voiced the Joker here had that same "rasp" in his voice, but it was a bit too deep at points I think. It was also fun that Neil Patrick Harris Voiced Nightwing, and Jensen Ackles voiced Jason. (Jensen Ackles, Smallville, Jason, geddit?)

Batman is really cool. I get the people that likes him better than Superman. But sometimes I swear Batman is written crazy overpowered as well. It borders on the ridiculous. He dodges bullets, even! And they call Superman too powerful! At least he has superpowers! When one of the villains throws a car at Batman, he climbs into the door on the passenger's side, and jumps out the other door! Really? I mean, it did look cool, and I enjoyed the scene, but yikes.

I really liked the Joker's part in this story. I had no idea he used to be the Red Hood before. His beating of Robin was brutal. His laugh was perfect. The way he looked bored when eating potato chips was hilarious, and the way he just slayed down all the men with the broken glass was very Joker-ish. I also liked the explanation for why Batman never kills the Joker (other than the fact that he can't, because then the series would lose its coolest villain), that he can't go down that road, because then he can never come back. I kind of wondered about that too.

For a Batman story, I give this... 4,5 of 5!

Comments