Finally finished Superman Earth One, and it was awesome

I first read issue #1 of Superman: Earth One back in 2010, and wrote a post about it here (in Norwegian). I can't remember why I never read the last two issues. It's possible that I didn't realise there was more content, or maybe I just got distracted by other things. But oh my – I have been missing out on a proper gem. This series was absolutely bloody fantastic. 

I did have a few problems with it though. To get it out of the way:

  • Clark names himself Superman, which I strongly dislike. Because naming yourself "Superman" is pompous as hell. Clark's mother also designs the S shield, which I feel cheapens it a bit? I like that it's a family crest. 
  • The art in the first two issues was a tiny bit awkward and stiff at times.
  • The comic heavily overuses red glowing eyes, which is on my pet peeves list
  • Not really a fan of "super intelligence" being one of Clark's powers. Isn't he powerful enough as it is? But it was thankfully kept quite subtle after the start of the story.

Other than that, this was basically the "Snyderverse" (AKA the DCEU), but done right! This was a very similar story to Man of Steel and the sequels. Superman is brought into the public eye by an alien invasion that wants him to give himself up. But – we also got to see him have a life, a personality! Which was sorely lacking from the Snyderverse.

This story also quite heavily explores the world distrusting Superman in a similar way as Batman v Superman. But Superman actually gets to say his piece about it in this story, and actually fight back against this, instead of just moping about it and dying at the end. And I loved that so freaking much. They also had time to go into Clarks thoughts on the situation throughout the story. How he's frustrated at just wanting to help, and being sabotaged in various ways. 

The scene at the end where he first shouts at and then talks to the General Assembly is everything I didn't know I wanted.

Like, I really wondered what Lex was thinking was going to happen to Doomsday after he kills Superman in Batman v. Superman.

The bit with the tsunami in the country of Borada and the dictator that doesn't want him there was really interesting too, and the way he's forced to leave. 

The completely random take on Lex Luthor being a husband and wife called Lex and Alexandra was also kinda cool. 

I also liked his relationship with Lisa, and how Lois wasn't the love interest this time. Very fresh that they did something a bit different here. I'm a fan of the Lois and Clark relationship, but I'll gladly take anything as long as it develops Clarks character in a nice way.

It was a bit odd that they changed artists in the last issue, but I actually like the design for Clark better here than in the first two.

Comments