Watching Torchwood – Where's the Doctor? Timeline?

There's a spin-off of Doctor Who called Torchwood. It has captain Jack Harkness as the main character, and is kind of like Doctor Who, but with less time travel and more aliens. It is a bit more mature than Doctor Who, aiming for an older audience.


It took me some time to warm up to the fact that the Doctor doesn't appear in this show, and in the beginning I only watched for those little hints to the fact that the Doctor exists. But after a while I started looking at it as it's own thing, and it was then that I became a fan. 

I went back to watch the first episode again a little while ago, and that introduction scene is badass. The score in the background is great! And the way they look tough and dressed in black as they walk to the crime scene... I like.

But! I still have a bit of an issue with with thinking "Where the hell is the Doctor!" For example when some particularly gigantic threat appears that the Doctor really should have noticed. And I have a bit of trouble keeping the timelines straight between the two shows... 

Here's the timeline as I see it:

Jack meets up with the Doctor four times:

One: He's a time agent, and he meets the 9th Doctor. He then dies, gets brought back to life by Rose/The Bad Wolf, turns immortal, and gets left behind in the future. He then tries to use the vortex manipulator to get back, ends up waaay further back than he intended (I don't remember when), and at some point he joins up with Torchwood. He then lives maaany years untill it's our time again.

Two: The second time, the Doctor is in his 10th incarnation. This takes place at the end of Torchwood's series 1, and at the end of Doctor Who series 3. Cue the year that never happened, and after that things are back to normal.

Three: I guess that their third meeting during The Stolen Earth takes place at the end of Torchwood series 2. It's never really indicated in Torchwood when this happened, but the end of series 2 makes sense, since Tosh and Owen are gone, but Ianto's still there.

And then "Children of Earth" happens, Torchwood series 3. I would guess that this takes place at the same time as the series 4 specials, the tenth Doctor's last appearances.

Four: And then Jack meets the 10th Doctor one last time in a bar after COE, when he has run away from the others. Where was the Doctor during those 5 days? I guess... maybe on Mars? but was he there for that long? Did he have to ignore it because it was a fixed event?

And now I wonder... where do the timelines meet up now? 

If Jack were to meet the 11th Doctor, would the seasons match up..? But I guess that doesn't make sense, since the Doctor travels in time. I guess the whole of season 5 and 6 could have happened before Torchwood's Miracle Day happens.

I would really like to have Jack meeting the eleventh Doctor! But then they would also have some major issues to sort out when they meet, I guess. But I would love to see some more lighthearted scenes between them too though! 

Comments