Superman fanfic recs

Superman isn't the biggest fandom out there, and I'm a bit picky, which of course makes it tricky to find new good fanfics. I've had some luck with rec lists in the past. So on the chance that I might help someone else – here's a list of my favourite Superman fanfics of all time. 

My favourite type of story is the kind that explores Clark/Superman's character. His motivation, personality, impact on others etc. I'm also a fan of Superman/Batman interactions, and of Superman's powers. I love long epic stories, but length isn't a must. When it comes to more romantic stories, my favourite pairing is Clark/Lois.

I've also read quite a bit of Clark/Bruce. Up until recently I didn't know that "Superbat" was such a huge thing. While I don't mind the shipping, "Superbat" to me is mainly a resource to find stories about Clark and Bruce's views on each other. And this is really hard to find without the romance. 

This post is likely to get edited later if I find any new good stories. 


Left Side Advantage by susiecarter

"All I've ever wanted to do with the world is live in it—be part of it. All I ever wanted, growing up, was—" He shrugs, helpless, grappling for a way to say it, to sum up years and years of trying and failing to belong. "—was to be human."

Universe: Batman v Superman/DCEU
Characters: Clark/Bruce pairing, but it's fairly low-key.
Words: 61k
Summary: BvS AU: A year after Black Zero, the Metropolis city government decides to hold a commemorative gala, with Superman as one of the guests of honor. After a year of unsuccessfully trying to gather intelligence on Superman, Bruce Wayne decides to attend.

I'm a sucker for a story that explores Bruce's thought process as he goes from hating Superman the threat, to gradually piecing together who he is, what his motivations are, and why he can be trusted. The way this fanfic handles it is absolute bloody perfection. I have re-read this several times, and I feel like I discover something new every time.

I'm not a huge fan of the concept that it's such a chore and/or mental drain for Clark to "act the part" of Superman. However, I don't think this story would be as interesting without it. And the Clark/Bruce pairing feels a tiny bit out of place here for some reason, but that's just me probably. Other than that, big shiny A++. I might actually go as far as calling this my favourite Superman fanfic.

This really great artwork (and the summary for the artwork) is what made me read this fanfic initially.


Avengers of Steel by Reyel

"I'm drinking with two gods and Captain America," she said. "I'm sure I'm pretty damn safe."

"One god," Clark corrected, smiling. "If you are seeing two Gods of Thunder then I have some news for you, Jessica."

Universe: Superman (DCEU) in the Marvel cinematic universe. 
Characters: Clark and Jessica friendship. Shipping not a big focus, but seems to be aiming for Clark/Natasha
Words: 530k so far
Note: This is sadly not complete, and was last updated in July 2021. On the positive side - there's lot of chapters to enjoy.

I wasn't expecting this to be this enjoyable when I first clicked on it. I agree with so many aspects of this author's take on Superman, like Clark working freelance. Him being able to keep a full time job always baffled me. The fic also points out lots of things that I've been thinking about: Facial recognition, that the glasses could maybe be some Kryptonian tech that changes his face (this is mostly talked about as a joke), Superman learning fighting techniques, protection against mind control...

The author does a really great job of inserting Superman into the Avengers' universe, without "worfing" him. And, the story also has yet to introduce kryptonite after 40+ chapters, which I'm very impressed by. 

There are some spelling mistakes here and there, there are sometimes a bit too many things going on at the same time, and sometimes the plotlines from the movies and TV shows go on for a tad too long. The author is also a bit fond of "fan service" and making characters comment on how "hot" Superman is, which I find a bit annoying. But this is still one of my absolute favourite fanfics. 


Number 821 by AmeliaFaulks

He was sat back, his weight leaned on one elbow, flashing that smile, holding court. Relaxed, confident, in complete control. The world's favorite son, the nation's sweetheart, the prince of Metropolis with the city illuminated behind him.

Universe: Not specified
Characters: Clark/Lois pairing
Words: 38k

There have been various canon stories that have explored what Superman would do if Lois died, but I don't really like any of them. He always turns evil, which is a super dumb concept, in my opinion. This fanfic handles this scenario it a million times better! Don't worry, this is still a Clark/Lois story.

It's a bit confusing what's going on right at the start, but it doesn't take too long before it gets really interesting. I recommend going back and reading it a second time, then the start will make more sense. 


The Man Under the Suit By HappyGirl

“[thanks] for letting me be myself with you. For helping me realize that I don’t have to be the person I’ve been playing at for years, that the man with my name is not the real me any more than Superman is. For giving me hope that I can become someone I like again.”

Universe: Lois & Clark
Characters: Clark/Lois pairing
Words: 120k
Summary: Clark Kent is a master of disguise, with more aliases than you can shake a stick at, so you can imagine his surprise when one insightful reporter sees right through his most flashy disguise of all.

I found a recommendation for this story in a reddit thread, and got sucked in pretty much right away. This was so fascinating that I had trouble putting it down, and I got a serious book hangover after I finished it. In this, Clark is a famous author, rather than a journalist. This takes the "people see what they expect to see" Clark Kent disguise to a whole new unbelievable level, but the story is so unique and charming that it didn't bother me much.


Smallville Armageddon Aftermath by IolantheAlias

Universe: Smallville
Characters: Clark & AU Martha friendship. Clark/Chloe pairing, but not very prominent.
Words: 244k
Summary: Clark is stuck in an an alternate world that's trying to get back on its feet after an invasion by Zod. The survivors aren't sure what to do about the one Kryptonian that remains, even if he did help them defeat the enemy. 
Warning: There's a rape sequence a bit into the story that goes on for a while. The author adds a warning before this starts. 

I'm not that into Smallville these days, but this fanfic is still one of my favourites. This is a sequel to a story called "Armageddon", by another author, which isn't available online anymore. "Aftermath" works fine on its own though, and the author adds a summary of what happened in the first fic at the start. What makes this story so great is Clark's evolving friendship with this universe's Martha, and how he copes with everyone's hostility towards him. 


Waking a Miracle by ariaadagio

Universe: Lois & Clark
Characters: Clark/Lois pairing
Words: 100k
Summary: Clark moves to Metropolis in an attempt to escape his past and start over, but his efforts are in vain. In this rewrite of the pilot, ghosts of the past are never far behind, and neither is a sparking collision with Lois Lane...

An AU with an odd, but super captivating premise. It's been some time since I read it now, so it's not fresh enough in my mind to write a proper summary and "review", but it was a good one. Will come back and update here if I reread. 


The House of the Earth by mithen

"Promise me you won't blow our cover."

"I'll...try."

Bruce looked unmollified. "If you care about the Earth, or freedom, or our lives, you'll do better than try."

Universe: Comics / not specified?
Characters: Clark/Bruce pairing
Words: 80k
Summary: An AU where a few thousand Kryptonians escaped the destruction of Krypton to flee to Earth and enslave its people. Years later, a young and naive Kryptonian finds himself entangled with a secret rebellion and its mysterious leader.
Warning: Slavery, M rating

Another great AU, with a great plot. I love how Kal in this story is so obviously the same man that becomes Superman in another reality. 



Honourable mention:

  • Good Samaritan by ariaadagio – Lois & Clark universe, Clark/Lois pairing, though not the main focus. "Superman's life is placed in the hands of a stranger when he's felled landing a plane in Washington D.C., but after a harrowing weekend, it may be hard to tell who is saving whom..."


Last edited: 13. may 2023

Comments