Superman & Lois ep 1-5

Here are some fairly random thoughts I had while watching the first 5 episodes of the new show "Superman & Lois" on HBO.

Superman does several "superhero landings". It looks dang cool, but does he do it for dramatic effect? Superheroes casually wrecking public property is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Land a bit softer, don't ruin the ground unnecessarily! Someone's gonna have to fix that.

I wish Superman was a bit bulkier. I don't want Superman to look like the Hulk, but Tyler as Superman is just a tad too lean. I love the nickname "big blue" for Superman, but this version isn't quite big enough for it to fit him. It's not a big deal though!

The soundtrack is gooorgeous. I don't think it's been released yet, so I'm looking forward to that.

Clark is SUCH a lovable dork/doofus! <3 I'm loving this take on the geeky Clark persona. Clark is really missing a personality in the Snyderverse. 

"Clark getting all hyped for chocolate bacon was everything i want from Clark Kent. He was so excited!" – Piker10 on reddit

I have such a thing for the sonic boom sound effect Superman creates when he flies, in any media.

The kids annoyed me a bit at the beginning, but everyone's so sensible in the way they interact with each other. Jordan apologising to Sarah's boyfriend for example, and him actually accepting the apology.

"I love how characters in this show actually act like real people." – CEFFYYNWA on reddit

Is ‘Superman and Lois’ already erasing ‘Supergirl’? – I haven't actually watched much of Supergirl, but Superman & Lois has got such a different tone and style that I'm gonna see it as another parallell earth thing. Until they say otherwise I guess. 

I had to look up Superman's introduction on Supergirl:

Everyone's calling him Clark - does everyone know? 

Love how everyone's so awed at him when he appears. The drum in the music when he landed at the headquarters... yes, this is my jam. 

Superman's cape is much improved in Superman & Lois from the one he has in Supergirl. I've read that capes are often very tricky to pull off as a costume, since they're sort of difficult to hold up. They had similar problems on Lois & Clark, with an awkward looking "glued on" cape in some early episodes. 

– "You really have that clutzy thing down, don't you?"
– "No, heh, that was actually real" <3

"Nah, I got to look cool last time" - Kara and Clark have such a charming relationship/chemistry.

"See, if the bullets don't work, right, why the punching?" – It makes no sense that they would try to punch him, but fun scene.

Supposedly Kara is stronger than Superman...? Yeah, not sure if I'm liking that one. Doesn't really make sense? it's her show, so I understand what they're doing, but... 

Back to Superman & Lois:

It's bothering me a bit that Clark is unemployed. Lois can't be earning much either. Are they living on savings? And after spending quite a lot of it on the farm? I hope they don't go too long without coming up with a solution for this. 

He hears that ringing when he overhears Lana and Kyle coming to the gathering after the funeral - is that supposed to be the sound of him using his super hearing? I thought it was a signal from that device they use to get his attention, but that's not being used here. 

There's always the issue of the glasses managing to make Clark not look like Superman... It seems like we are just expected to suspend our disbelief here, and I guess that's fine. The reveal scene is so beautiful. The music while he flies up with the car over his head to prove what he's saying. 

I wonder why they went for the stubble look... Doesn't bother me really, but why?

Comments