Big thumbs up for the first DuckTales 2017 episode

I've just seen the first episode of new DuckTales, and it was really, reeeally good.

I love the "feeling" I'm getting from the show. I used to be a huge fan of the comics. And this new show feels like it's made by people who love the comics as well. They have managed to include stuff from the comics, and old DuckTales, plus something completely new. I really like the mystery of why Donald and Scrooge had a falling out.

Donald has got a bit more of a real personality in this version. Never mind the kids (I have always been more of a fan of the adults), but Donald actually has a role of his own, and isn't just run over by Scrooge, like he sometimes is in the comics. I don't think he's really been "protective dad" before, which was really cute. He isn't just talking care of them by default, or just "uncle Donald", he's really their "dad".

And then there's that big reveal in the ending. Della, the triplet's mum, used to travel with Scrooge too! I'm amazed they're actually having her on the show, and that Disney allowed it! There's a high chance she's part of the reason Scrooge and Donald didn't speak for 10 years. I mean, if Donald has had the triplets since they were babies, does that mean she died..? Based on Donald (and Beakley) accepting that the kids carry on going with Scrooge on adventures, I would think it's something else.

I liked David Tennant's voice as Scrooge a LOT better after seeing a whole episode. I was a bit unsure what I thought based on the various clips and trailers before, but now I'm definitely happy. I think it helped to listen to longer dialogue.

I'm a bit on the fence on Donald's voice. This version of Donald is a lot more like Donald in the comics, and I kind of feel like they should have given him a normal voice to match the others. When he first started talking, I was like "wow, he's really gonna do a lot of lines in that voice". I don't know what kind of voice I think he should have had, but I wish they'd be brave enough to give him a new one. On the plus side, Donald's voice actor must have had a lot practice in the last 30-ish years, and is now a bit more understandable.

Looking forward to the next episode in September.

Other random stuff:

  • I'm liking the use of 2D styled 3D for the plane etc.
  • The garage vs garage pronunciation gag amused me.
  • Glomgold is MORE SCO'ISH! HE's WEARIN' A KILT!

Comments