Some random thoughts about Merlin



I've been watching Merlin on and off for the last year and a half. Currently I'm at the beginning of season 4.

I love Merlin, even though the motivations of some characters baffles me at times. Especially Morgana. But many of the other characters actually have "grey areas" in terms of good and evil. Take Uther for example. I actually feel for him in many cases, like with his love for Morgana etc. Even though he's close to evil most of the time, I also sympathise with him.

...I can't help it, I love Uther so! It's not because of what he stands for, it might be the brilliant actor, I don't know?

I love how he reacts after Arthur lets him win in a tournament. At first he starts off really cocky, and then he realises that Arthur has the upper hand. And then Arthur lets him win. For a little while I thought that he would go on as if he was better than Arthur, but in the end he admits that he knew that Arthur let him win, thanks him, and says "When you get sons of your own I hope they will afford you the same honour." Yesss! That right there is perfect storytelling and characterisation, if not to mention advice on how to behave toward other people.

Also, I like the relationship between Merlin and the great dragon. Many people have said that the dragon only says cryptic stuff, but I actually think that what they talk about makes sense. And I love how their relationship is more than "old wise dragon gives advice about destiny". I like how he always points out what Merlin does wrong. Like how he "wants to talk, but not to listen." He also has a valid point about Uther that Merlin hadn't thought of: If Uther gets killed through magic, it would only give Arthur hate for magic as well.

But I have a bit of trouble with Morgana. She just suddenly turned from "good, but with some issues" to "moustache-twirling evil" over night! I just don't get it.

I love Merlins calm-mindedness. And his constant snark, and his accept of his role in the sceme of things. He knows that his life is sort of "already planned", but he doesn't whine about it.

And I'm glad they don't drag things out. Arthur starts out as a real brat, but he doesn't stay that way for long. Or, that's not what defines him for most of the story.

Comments