Rewatching Doctor Who series 1

These are some of the random thoughts that popped into my head while rewatching Doctor Who series 1. Felt like writing it down. Turned out to be a bit of a "Why I don't like Rose"-post.


101 - Rose:

Why did the Doctor blow up the building Rose worked in? The Nestene Consciousness that controlled all the plastic wasn't actually located there, and the Doctor knew this. And there was no reason to to it to get rid of the dummies, since there's plastic all over the city. 

How much time has passed since the Time War in this episode? I wonder what the Doctor is feeling or thinking here. It can't have been long since he regenerated from the eighth Doctor, since he checks his appearance out in the mirror in the flat and comments on his ears. Maybe the "aloof" attitude is just his way of coping, who knows.

It annoys me that when Rose finally enters the TARDIS, she runs in without closing the doors! There's a monster out there about to kill her! She might not bother with it because they're just wooden doors to her, but... I just got hung up on it. You see a moment after that the doors are actually closed, but... I just had a bit too much time to be annoyed before I could see that they closed by themselves.

104 - Aliens of London and 105 - World War Three:

"I'm the only person on planet earth who knows they exist." 

Noo, of course the Doctor hasn't told anyone else about aliens over the course of his life. No, she's the only one on earth.

Not actually Who-related, but: When a camera stays too long on a person that is talking to another person off screen, you can just bet that the other person is nowhere to be seen when the camera moves. In a normal scene, the angle always shifts between the speaker and the one that listens, even though the second party doesn't say anything. So when you are supposed to be surprised that the other person is gone, well, it doesn't really work.

"[The Doctor] is not my boyfriend, he's better than that, he's much more important—" Oh God, Rose, really? Right in front of your actual boyfriend? How do you say something like that to a person? I just can't understand why so many people loved Rose when she constantly crap like this to people she's supposed to care about.

The Doctor has a "plan out". Rose tells him to "do it", even though she doesn't know what it actually is. Of course the plan involves that all of them have to die to save the rest of London. And Rose should guess that too, from how the Doctor talks about the plan. And then he gets this look in his face while he looks at her... And she keeps on telling him to do it, still without knowing what it is. Really, is anyone like that? 19 years old, life in front of her. "Please just kill all of us, Doctor."

"I could save the world and lose you." Ugh, the look that passes between them. This feels like the very first moment where the Doctor/Rose-romance starts. And Rose actually smiles. And I don't like the way she smiles, it's kind of like a smirk. I have two big problems with the Doctor/Rose pairing:

One: Rose seems to only care about herself when it comes to relationships. 

Two: The Doctor is 900 years old! He has "seen the turn of the universe", and has travelled with so many people before her. She's nineteen! What would he see in her? She practically a baby to him.

I get that he likes her, he's that kind of person. But I just can't take their relationship seriously. Especially when he almost considers risking the entire world for her, a girl he's just met. And when she treats her mother and boyfriend like crap because she is sooo special and has to go travelling, "you don't understaaaaand, mum". And then she never gives a good explanation for anything about what's she's up to and where she's been, she just 'has to'. If I was her mother I would be really pissed. It's okay that she has fun elsewhere, but you could at least be a little grateful for your poor old mum. 'Oh, nevermind me, I'll just sit here and wonder if you'll ever come back'.

Then Harriet Jones commands him to "do it" as well. And this time he smiles? So now it's suddenly really fun to maybe lose Rose?

Oh, and at the end of the episode, she just leaves again. Sigh. It's just the way the mood of this scene is done that puts me off. Jackie and Mickey is just standing there looking sad when the TARDIS leaves. How am I supposed to feel happy for Rose's fun-ride when she leaves everyone behind sad?

107 - The Long Game:

I wonder why people always call the ninth Doctor "the moody, serious one". He might have been a bit angry and desperate in "Dalek", but who wouldn't be if you are facing an enemy you thought you sacrificed your entire race to destroy. In most of the other episodes, he's usually quite cheerful.

108 - Father's Day:

— "My entire planet died, my whole family, do you think it never occurred to me to go back and save them?"
— "But it's not like I changed history!"

Nice and sensitive here, Rose. That wasn't a good enough reason for you to listen to him? His entire RACE gone, and he can't go back to save them? ......all right, I get it, she's only human, and I guess it's probably hard to imagine something on that scale when you've just saved your father. I'll give her that one.

Aww, the hug when Pete realises who Rose is. That's a lovely moment.

Little Mickey runs in and hugs Rose, and she says "You have to let go of me, sweetheart."
...should have told the older version the same thing.

And this is where the paradox-thing is first explained in the new series I think, that two versions of the same person can't touch. It seems like they have completely disregarded this from series 5 and onwards.

"This is my fault." "No love, this is my fault. I'm your dad, it's my job for it to be my fault." Aww, Pete. :)

111 - Boom Town:

Jack naturally assumes leadership when they find out about the Slitheen. And The Doctor just stands there looking at him. I can see the eleventh Doctor reacting the same way! I love how this part goes. It's so typical that two male characters would start bickering over who's in charge, and it's a bit overused. So I love the way the Doctor reacts here. First, "Oi, who's in charge?" and then just "What he said, nice plan!" In that way he gets the point across that he's the leader, but still acknowledges that Jack did a good job. Well done! Makes for more interesting characters, and better TV.

Oh ugh, Rose is mad at Mickey for dating a new girl. How CAN you be so selfish and deluded? You leave with another man, and expect your boyfriend to be fine with this and just sit and wait? I think not? ...and everything Mickey says to her after this is so true.

113 - The parting of the ways:

Another Rose-tantrum when she's sent home by the Doctor. I can understand her at first actually, of course she's sad and angry that she can't help the Doctor, and that he's dying many years away from her. But then it just turns into whining about how she can never go back to a regular life again after this, that it was a "better life" etc. Now it's suddenly all about her again! It's like she's addicted to a drug or something! At least, that's what it must look like to her mother. (...I have no idea why I keep seeing this through Jackies eyes.)

OH GOD, and then, after she finds out that she can open the TARDIS to tell her to go back, she tells Mickey that there's absolutely nothing left for her at home. I'm sorry, what? And she actually says this right to his face. "Yup, what we had was worth nothing to me. Who, my mother? Nah, not her either." I GET that she wants to go back to save the Doctor, but to say something like that? To actually insult him like that? Good lord, how this girl has any fans is way beyond me.

Comments