Twilight: Breaking Dawn part 1

I went to see Breaking Dawn yesterday, and well... I liked the book better.

A little background story:

I have a mixed relationship with Twilight actually. I'm not a huge fan, but I neither hate the series, nor love it. I read all four books before I even knew about all the hate. I loved them while I read them, even cried a little bit at one point in the last book. But I can also see where all the hate comes from now, some years later. They aren't very... nuanced books. The characters do seem a little bit like cardboard cut-outs at times. The way they talk to each other makes me want to punch them in the face, because real people don't talk like that! But I loved the books while I read them, and that's why I want to see how the movies handle the books.

So:

My first reaction to the first part was "Jeez, is this all?" Nothing really happened. All it consisted of were plenty of slow paced romance scenes. I might not have liked this because my preferred kind of romance in movies is the one that just fits into an action story, not the other way around. And like I said before, how do they cope with talking to each other like that? At the part where Edward doesn't want to have sex with Bella, I badly wanted her to shout "Just fuck me already!" Who talks like them? Every word they said were like "Bella, you are the world to me, I couldn't bare to live in a world with..." I would have liked them better if they actually sounded like real people. It was all so... stiff.

Also, a random detail that bugged me: At the wedding, the minister used her nickname "Bella" Swan. Her name is Isabella, isn't it? Wouldn't it be more fitting for a wedding to use her real name?

But the second part was better. Bit more action, more suspense.

I actually like Edward. But I wouldn't have if I hadn't read the books. That's a bit of a problem I have with the movies. They are based on a series of books that are written from Bella's point of view. You miss all her thoughts in the movies, and that makes her character seem so flat! And it's the same thing with Edward. The book is never from his point of view, but still, I liked him better in the book. There was a part in the third book (I think) where Bella, Jacob and Edward stays in a tent, and Bella is so cold that Jacob has to lay next to her to warm her up. And poor Edward can hear all the things that Jacob is thinking. I don't remember if they included that in the film, but this one had something similar.

Also, Seth. Adored him in the books, liked him in the movie as well!

Jacob's imprinting was handled well I think. It could have easily have become really awkward, since it's an almost grown man finding his soulmate in a baby, but I liked that they showed how she would become as a woman. (Also, 3D-animated girl and baby... Didn't look quite real.)

I liked where the movie ended. Might me a cliché to zoom into a persons closed eyes like that, because you know the music is going to go "BOOM!" and then her eyes will open. But I think it worked. Cool twist to leave us with, and a nice cliffhanger.

Comments