SMALLVILLE: Finale

We have a destiny together. Only on different sides.

Oh yes, there were tears. I have never ever been so emotional during a TV episode ever! I cried, I laughed, I jumped up and down in my chair, and oh my, I'm shaking.

There were parts of the episode I think could have been done a bit differently, or stuff I wish they'd dropped, but oh my god it was such a fitting end. The final part was terribly cheesy at times, but I mean that in the most positive way. Superman is a bit cheesy, and I love him for it. Now I'm listening to some of the score, and I might cry again. Smallville, it's been 10 awesome years! I'm missing you already.

The wedding was beautiful, and I'm glad that Lois and Clark were both happy and actually intended to marry each other before they were interrupted. The process of them having second thoughts in the beginning was frustrating, but the result was so fitting. Lois looked so gorgeous in that dress. The vows were beautiful too. And I liked that it was Chloe that realized the danger of the gold kryptonite ring.

The song playing at the wedding was so beautiful. So very Smallville. I have found a lot of my favorite music on Smallville during the years. There has been more score than songs the last seasons, but oh my, it was worth it to have this one pull me right back to early Smallville.

On a random note, I was scrolling through Tumblr a little while before the finale aired in the US, and someone had linked to a song called "It ends tonight" by All American Rejects, that I think was on Smallville in season 6. And the lyrics go:

A weight is lifted / On this evening / I give the final blow.
When darkness turns to light / It ends tonight / It ends tonight.

I like it. So fitting for the end, and especially on the night it actually ended. Emotional fan is emotional.

As usual, Jonathan's presence also opens the floodgates. And this time Martha was there too, and the family were together again and even more tears. I was impressed with how many actors they got to come back for this, there was Jonathan and Martha, Chloe, Lionel, Lex, and even Aaron Ashmore as "little Jimmy grown up". I loved how Jonathan was the one to actually give Clark the suit in the end. And I also liked that there was no real explanation for why Jonathan was there. I didn't want it. Worked better as a bit of a mystery.

I liked Chloe's hair in this episode, in some shots it was sticking out on one side, resembling her hair in the first seasons. Wonder if that was intentional? And I liked that Clark managed to talk the Omega symbol out of Oliver's head. A very Superman thing to do. Also, there was a lot of kissing and hugging with dramatic backgrounds in this episode, Chloe and Oliver with Apokolips in the background for example.

Clark, oh Clark, he flew in the end, he flew! After a long flashback of his life, he hovered for a bit and then took off! I was making squee-noises at this point. They handled the suit nicely. I'm really glad they didn't show more of it than they did. I like that he turned into a proper Superman in the end, but Smallville has always been about Clark, and I've always thought that the suit would look a bit out of place in the show. This worked! (And everybody did look up in the end, SHoE*) 

The way he looked at Lois through the glass was so cute and awesome, and reminded me of Superman Returns. I'm not so sure if I liked that he moved an entire planet at the end there, but I'll let it pass and call it that he was "still within the first fifteen hours of his superhero-debut cycle, and he had just enough residual cellular energy... to do this." Doctor Who reference.

And Lionel died, but this world's Lionel is already dead, so the other guy kind of had to go the same way. He got to be a vessel though. Kind of matches this world's Lionel. Our Lionel got Jor-El (Light) and that Lionel got Darkseid (Dark).

I'm so glad that Michael Rosenbaum returned for a little bit to wrap everything up. I had another little breakdown-moment where he talks to Clark in the ruins of the Luthor mansion, and says, "We have a destiny together. Only on different sides." Chills down my spine right there. Worked so well with that little clip in the "prevously on" where he says "I am the villain of the story."

I kind of saw Tess' death coming. I kept thinking "Tess is Toast" at random moments, though I hoped she would survive. But I'm glad that she didn't die getting her heart ripped out, as it seemed like she would for a little while. I loved Tess, she was amazing. I loved her as a villain, and I loved the way she ended up on the good side in the end. And her last act was to ensure that Lex never will remember Clark. Also a chilling moment at the end, where Lex looks out of the window of LuthorCorp, and the sign gets damaged to resemble the company's future name, LexCorp.

And the ending, taking place seven years in the future... it was cute. Fitting. Cheesy. Superman-ish. One thing I didn't like was the comic book-thing with the little kid. It just seemed so out of place. Where did that comic come from? It couldn't have been an official comic, because it kind of told everything about Clark's past. It might have been just an artistic choice of kinds to add it, but I just felt that it was a bit... no thanks. It was cute that Oliver and Chloe had a child together though. And there was John Williams music! I liked that they added it, but I'm glad they saved it for the end only.

Thank you so, so much, Smallville. It has been a blast. Thank you for many years of fun and thrills (and did I mention tears at all?).


* Reference to an episode of the podcast "Starkville's house of El" where they were saying that's how it should end.

Comments

  1. Offisielt min nye favorittside i hele verden. Har nettopp fullført Smallville for andre gang, berg-og-dalbane av dimensjoner. Kunne skrivd latterlig mye om serien her, men velger å nøye med meg å skrive at scener med Rosenbaum og Welling sammen alltid vil være blant mine favoritter. Rosenbaum som Lex er trolig min favorittkarakter gjennom tidene.

    Sangen du nevner med All-American Rejects er i en fantastisk scene med Lex - i samme episode som sangen 'Ache' brukes i en vel så herlig scene. Begge Lex+Lana-scener.

    Uansett; må bla meg igjennom alt mulig her. Traff rett i hjerterota!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jøss, takk for hyggelig kommentar! :D Moro å høre at du liker skriveriene mine.

      Jeg har hatt latterlig mye å si om Smallville jeg og, derav denne bloggen, haha. Jeg er mester i å henge meg opp i detaljer og i å overanalysere.

      Nå ble jeg rent inspirert til å se noen Smallville-sesonger igjen. Jeg har ikke sett på det på lenge nå, men en random Smallville-relatert tanke ramla inn i hodet på meg for et par uker siden. "Hvordan var det at Lana fant ut om Clark igjen?" Dette tok det meg lang tid før jeg kunne huske svaret på. Før hadde jeg full oversikt over alle sesonger og hva som skjedde når, men kanskje dette vil si at det blir en bedre opplevelse om jeg ser det igjen!


      (Beklager om denne blir sendt to ganger. Jeg prøvde å svare tidligere, men alt forsvant da jeg trykka send!)

      Delete

Post a Comment